I’ve always been meaning to write one of my special recipes down for the world to see and enjoy and thankfully, QWT is letting me do that.
Rice and Apple Sauce happened by accident. The recipe just came in a flash of genius. I was thinking of a way to make food both sweet and spicy and also healthy when the recipe came. It wasn’t what I actually set out for, but Ibadan people are lazy and so I got what I could. Also, this meal can be cooked for less than N1,000 and it will feed four people!
This article assumes intermediate-expert skills at cooking and may skip repetitive steps. To prepare this meal, you need:
- Fish (smoked)
- Fish (Herring) (Raw)
- Ripe firm tomatoes
- Ripe and fresh red peppers
- Purple or white onions
- Green Apples
- Tomato Paste (Pepper Terra)
- Low fat vegetable oil
- Knorr cubes
- Ground Black Pepper
- Mivina Chicken Seasoning (or something similar)
- Wash and parboil the rice. After parboiling, add one sachet of Mivina seasoning and some salt and then cook until soft.
- Wash the fish thoroughly, making sure to remove the eggs.
- Season fish with salt, knorr, black pepper and curry.
- Heat up the vegetable oil and fry fish lightly (crispy on the outside, soft on the inside).
- Dice tomatoes, apples and peppers.
- Using a wok (if available), or a deep frying pan, heat up some vegetable oil (not the residue from frying the fish)
- Using low heat, add the tomatoes and stir fry for about three minutes
- Add the onions and peppers and stir fry for about five minutes.
- Add the chopped smoked fish and stir evenly.
- Add the salt, knorr (two cubes/one pair), black pepper and Mivina (one sachet) and the pepper Terra.
- Increase the heat to medium and stir thoroughly for a minute.
- Add the diced apples and stir evenly for a minute.
- Reduce the heat to low, and leave sauce on for about three minutes (longer if you want softer apples).
- Serve rice with sauce and fish.
Great meal, very tasty, relatively low calories, low budget and relatively easy to cook. Prepare this on a romantic evening and try chicken instead of fish 😉
thequickwayto.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, and we get a commission on purchases made through our links.